Contract For Sale: Special Prosecutor Charges Frm. PPA Boss And Brother In-Law With 18 Charges
Adjenim Boateng Adjei, the former chief executive officer of the Public Procurement Authority (PPA), and his brother-in-law, Francis Kwaku Arhin, have been charged with 18 counts of charges connected to their roles in the “Contracts for Sale” scandal by the Special Prosecutor.
“Using public office for profit, contrary to section 179C(a) of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29)” and “Directly and indirectly influencing the procurement process to obtain an unfair advantage in the award of a procurement contract, contrary to section 92(2)(b) of the Public Procurement Act, 2003” are the charges (Act 663).
Francis Arhin, 50, will answer one count and AB Adjei, 63, will answer 17 counts.
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022, the case was filed at the Criminal Division of the High Court in Accra.
It is Kissi Agyebeng’s first case as Special Prosecutor that she has investigated and brought to court.
In 2019, Manasseh Azure Awuni’s investigative documentary “Contracts for Sale” exposed Adjenim Boateng Adjei.
After his employment as the PPA’s CEO, Mr. Adjei founded Talent Discovery Limited (TDL) with his brother-in-law, according to the probe.
He owned 60% of the company, while his brother-in-law, Francis Kwaku Arhin, owned the remaining 40%.
Mr. Arhin was the CEO of Talent Discovery Limited and Mr. Adjei was the CEO of the PPA.
The corporation used the limited tendering procedure to win a number of government contracts.
Mr. Adjei was a member of the PPA board, which approved the contracts.